A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Transferring Complex Line Drawing to Canvas

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Transferring Complex Line Drawing to Canvas

Postby CrystalBananas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Everyone!

I have some intricate line drawings that I am planning to use as a basis for a series of paintings. Does anyone have any tips or shortcuts for transferring something complex like this to a canvas accurately? I was thinking of using a small projector to project the image onto the canvas, then tracing the lines. But to trace something like this multiple times would be incredibly labor-intensive. I'm attaching the image so that people can see what I'm working with. Any advice to make this task easier would be appreciated!
Attachments
CrystalBananas

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Transferring Complex Line Drawing to Canvas

Postby Singular » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:09 pm

If you have a high resolution image, you can probably just get them printed on canvas. There are lots of printing companies that print on canvas. Not sure how costly it would be but it could be an option if you decide not to go the projector route.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CrystalBananas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 am

Now that is an interesting idea. Do you think I could just paint over the printed ink?
CrystalBananas

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 am

Good morning. The answer is yes. I had a painting I did posted on fineartamerica.com in my account. With Photoshop elements 11, I converted it to black and white then posted it. Be sure that the picture is at least 3 megapixels. While the site advertises unlimited MPG I have never been able to post more than 7 which in reality is quite large. 4 MPG will give you most adequate sharpness and size choices. Shower curtains turn out blurred. Basic joining is free and the annual fee is rather inexpensive. The canvas will be smooth lacking tooth to catch the paint but if you slow down it works just fine for a smooth painting. Let the base coat dry before you start to repaint or manipulate the forms with paint. I am pleased with the results of the painted over portrait that I did. If you want texture in the painted surface, I suggest you spray the surface with clear non-shinny varnish. Do not use clear acrylic. The paint will form cracks on acrylic but will actually fuse with the varnish. This information is for oil painting. I have no knowledge about acrylic painting. But I suspect it should be easier. Hope this helps.
CarlOwen

Postby CrystalBananas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks for your input CarlOwen! I'm excited about this idea. I was planning on working in acrylic. If oil paints work, then I'd be hopeful that acrylics would work as well. I wonder if I could use a watered-down acrylic medium as a ground layer to give me some tooth-- if it were watered some, it might be translucent enough to allow the printed lines to show through, but still provide some additional texture. I guess the only way to really know is to give it a shot and experiment!

How was the quality of the canvas itself from fineartamerica? I was looking at canvaspop this morning, and actually sent them an inquiry email asking them if they had any knowledge of how their printing materials would react with acrylic paints. Who knows if they'll get back to me or have any idea, but it was worth a shot.
CrystalBananas

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 am

Good morning. Fineartamerica.com actually gives you a choice of several types of canvas from inexpensive to museum quality at the higher price end range. You can visit the site and look at an artist's painting and play around with the right side of the page that lists canvases, prints, etc. If you want to you can select an artist in one of the boxes in at the top of the page. Mine is simply Carl Owen. Have fun.
CarlOwen