A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Need Help Pricing Two Drawings

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need Help Pricing Two Drawings

Postby Singular » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:46 am

Hi Kate,

Pricing is always a tough topic. These drawings are very well done and should not be under-priced, that's for sure. But pricing has many factors: cost of time, materials, space, utilities, as well as artist demand. What I mean is that an artist who consistently sells his/her work for a certain price is more able to price their artwork at that price, as opposed to an artist who has never sold their work.

Look into this. What are comparable artists to you in that gallery or similar galleries in that area selling their work for. Look for artwork of similar quality from artists of similar name recognition/brand. That might be a good start.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:04 pm

OK, you petulant little princess. Remember I am myopic. Remember I do not like shock art or macabre art. So know this. Do not sell your original of your self portrait. It is simply to important as a work of art to give away, whatever the price. The second drawing is still in the category of Ugh, Ugh. Sell it if you can. But, do not price it cheap. I recommend between $500 to $1000 dollars. The price will help grab attention. A low price shall be ignored. The viewer will simply pass you off as a "wanna be great artist who can't cut the mustard". Be arrogant like Salvador Dali. Do not bargain the price.

Now to your self portrait. Ever stumble across the 'fineartamerica.com' website? If not look at it, if so, join it. That site is cheap to join and it will sell prints of any of your work. I have some of my work there. I have sold some prints of my work there. Expand your horizons sweetie. You have such potential to become a major artist once you abandon the "dark side".

P.S. Get rid of that plucked eye ball and place your self portrait as your online Icon. I know that is a slap at me that I do find amusing, but it really does you harm. Check my opinion with friends you trust, not the ones who will tell you anything that they think you want to hear.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Well thank you for that. I do make mistakes. Just ask my wife. But, I warn you, you may not have enough time to read them all. Hope your new Icon is one that will attract visitors to your site.
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:59 pm

Try this for an avatar.

Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Listen to Carl. E
ehoeveler

Postby FineArtMarc » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:34 am

Do as both Singular and Carl say and don't under price your art and make sure you don't over price it either.

I'm just getting back into art after a 20 year hiatus so i am no expert by any means but like many i had that same question of "how do I price my work" what i learned are a lot of artists will price their work by the square inch and so this is what i now do.

There are too many unknown variables for me to tell you what price to put but for me even though i don't have any name recognition i do have a history with few art competition wins to my name with included material costs and time i came up with a happy medium of $2.50/ square inch for an original and .25 cents/ square inch for prints.

Example:

Price for an original
20X22 = 440 Square inches
440 X $2.5 = $1100
Matting and framing is extra $$

Price for a Print
440 X $.25 = $110

Hope this helps

Like Carl i also recommend FineArtAmerica.com
FineArtMarc