A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Signing paintings?

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Signing paintings?

Postby satanfriendly » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 pm

For years I have always put the date of the painting along with my signature.

Is this wrong? Is it a bad habit? Or am I just set in my ways?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this as my wife reckons it takes away the timelessness a painting should elude. She is probably right and my present painting will be minus a date. But still curious as to any thoughts
28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28
satanfriendly

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Signing paintings?

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:02 pm

She is right. A wife is always right. It is always the husband's fault. Learn to live with it. Why is your wife always right? The same reason my wife is always right. They have a secret language. Why is it always the husband's fault? Because we are the ones who asked for it when we said, 'Will you marry me." Now to the serious stuff.

All that is needed on a painting is the signature. Best signature I know is NORMAN ROCKWELL. No dates, only signature. Moving on. I once dated all my work as I thought is was important for reasons I now forget. I have learned that galleries do not like to sell paintings with a date more than two to three years old as the customer asks why is the painting so old and not sold and what is wrong with it that it has not sold. Museums love a dated painting because it makes it easier for them to catalog it. I am not painting for a museum's convenience. Nor should any artist be. I have also learned that the date next to the signature causes the viewer to visually linger to long on the signature thereby diminishing interest in the painting itself. Not good as it causes the viewer, potential buyer, to consider the value of the painting based on the artist name rather than the quality of the painting and how much the viewer likes looking at it. So, bottom line is that your wife is right.
CarlOwen

Postby satanfriendly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:44 am

Just like my wife, you are probably right. I only say 'probably' as I do not want to give a total victory to my much much better half! :cry:

Thanks Carl. I can see your points and in particular that of 'lingering' too long at the signature and not that of the painting itself which makes sense. Subconsciously I might have been dating the paintings as much for my own records as much as for any other purpose. Most definitely future paintings will carry just a signature.

I wave a white flag and admit defeat to my wife...........she was right.........probably
satanfriendly

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:49 am

Good morning. You appear to have a good sense of humor. Glad I could be of some help.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:19 pm

LOL, the both of yas! IMHO there is nothing more truthful about a work than a date on the piece. I think it is very important
to have a historical perspective. I do see what you mean about the visual aspect, though - I put my date on the back. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Glad you are amused Elizabeth. What is IMHO?
CarlOwen

Postby satanfriendly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:42 pm

IMHO? In My Honest Opinion

If you can make someone happy by bringing some humour in to their life, then life is good, and to make someone smile is one of life's richer rewards. With a moniker of Satanfriendly it is amazing how some see me as being a darkened satanical entity and adding 'fun' makes people realise..................I'm not.

As my wife said, 'you are the most twisted, dark and yet ethical, moral person I can think of. You really are the friendly Satan'.

And using the same white flag....................she is right...............probably :roll:
satanfriendly

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Thank you Chris for the information on In My Honest Opinion. So, after research and talking with Gallery owners I personally have made the conclusion that dating a painting is not in the best interests of selling that painting. Check with Xanadu Gallery in Prescott, Arizona online. It is a two generation gallery that has a strong online presence. You can learn much from a gallery owner's perspective. Museums have staff assigned to that particular task of dating a painting. It is interesting to me that the more controversy about a painting always increases the price of the painting. I understand Elizabeth's point of view. But, I do not agree.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:38 pm

In my case, the 'H' in IMHO is always Humble...I will check that site, m'self. Thanks, Carl. E
ehoeveler

Postby satanfriendly » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I don't think I am Humble enough to be the H in Humble, but Honestly I can go with the H in Honest. Or could that be H for Horrible? Or 'Orible?..........May be not, otherwise it would be IMOO

This discussion has actually given me some inspiration for a 'fun' piece of art. I just need to get home from this ship I am working on at the moment and I can unleash some new ideas after finishing my present on-going project. 4th November cannot arrive any quicker
satanfriendly

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Glad I could be of some help Elizabeth. We both know how much you have helped me with your critiques and comments. And Chris, don't sink.
CarlOwen

Postby aya » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 pm

Some artists put the date as an extra burden of proof, it's a copyright thing, don't forget even if you sell the painting to someone you still own the copyright.
consider adding a date on the back with an extra sig, I date mine, it's important to me
aya

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I sign the fronts.. then sign/date or Sign/date the backs. (Or Sign/number the backs if its part of a series)

I think there is a level of importance to having a record of chronology.. I personally do not like to AGE the fronts of my work however.
:) But that is just me.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)