A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My New WIP - Queen Anne House _San Francisco

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

My New WIP - Queen Anne House _San Francisco

Postby gregghierholzer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Status of McCallister House

:mrgreen:

Here is the latest images of the "Painting" I am doing the pencil study first to figure out some of the problem areas. As the house as seen in real life has a bus stop and a huge tree in front of it, and the person requesting this painting does NOT want either in it.

Then there is the house to the left (empty spot) I have no idea of what this house looks like from the 2nd floor up as the tree blocks the view So that will be next as well.

But here is my status. This will eventually be painted in acrylic or maybe mixed medium
gregghierholzer

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: My New WIP - Queen Anne House _San Francisco

Postby St.Luke » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:34 am

Hi Gregg.

Very interesting architecture, and a good drawing of it too.
I am assuming you are working from a photograph. Can you get another photo of the scene (behind the tree)?
Here is a similar image I found on Google images. It is not the same, but may give you some ideas.
https://36.media.tumblr.com/5645f43ef00 ... o1_500.jpg

Many decades ago I worked as an architectural renderer. My main task was to convert the architectural drawings into a perspective illustration. Another artist did most of the color work.
The drawing you have done has a perspective flaw. Or maybe it is the photograph of your drawing that is the problem.
To explain, I am assuming that the viewer is a person standing across the road. If so, any vertical lines above 6 foot, or so, from the base of the building starts to converge to a vanishing point in the sky.
However, in your drawing, it looks like the top of the building is wider than the base.

It is very tricky to get the perspective right when drawing tall buildings. If the converging lines are to dramatic, the building looks like it wants to fall backwards. And visa versa.
Also if the building is on a slope, it can seem to lean to one side. All these flaws/illusions have to be compensated for. Many a time I had to realign a skyscraper by a mm to get it to look right.
All the renderings were done lightly with a pencil, to make erasing and realigning so much easier.
We called the compensation for the slight curvature of the Earth's horizon - false perspective.
There are a few tricks to be learnt in this type of rendering, such as how to have the perspective vanishing points several feet away from your drawing paper.

Best regards.
St.Luke

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:46 pm

You love buildings, don't you? They are so beautiful. I like houses, myself.
Keep up the fabulous work! E
ehoeveler

Postby zookeeper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:16 pm

beautifully drawn .I hope to see the finished product
zookeeper