A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Angels visit St. Francis

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Angels visit St. Francis

Postby St.Luke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:22 am

This is going to be an oil painting of St. Francis of Assisi being visited by two angels. (36" x 57")

The true story version: Francis was on a pilgrimage. Along a lonely path, two poor and hungry women begged for food. Francis offer a large portion of what he had - a piece of bread. The poor women were very grateful and left his company. Francis sensed something strange about them. He turned around to have another look at them, but they vanished out of sight. It was then he realized he was visited by angels.

My version: Out of unconditional love St. Francis offers his bread to the women. Suddenly the faces of the women disappear to reveal a spiritual light-being. Their halo serves as a window into another realm. Francis' vision of truth puts him into shock and awe.

So far the painting reveals the dark groundwork for the rest to be built on. I decided to put in wings to differentiate between saints and angels. I plan to have the light source (unseen sun) above the two angels.

The first images are my preliminary sketches.

This is where the painting is at - at the moment.

The following image (digital planning) is what I am going to do next.

Planned changes to groundwork:
  1. Change mountain peaks - there are too many points.
  2. Include halo areas.
  3. Extend angel's left wing further left.
  4. Change hand silhouettes to real human hands.
  5. Place appropriate expression on St. Francis' face.
St.Luke

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Angels visit St. Francis

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Wow - Oh - Whow! Peter, these are so fabulous. I love the layout/crosshatching in drawing #1.
Wonderful start on your painting and I'm already intrigued by those angels! E
ehoeveler

Postby St.Luke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:19 pm

Thank you ehoeveler (E) for your supportive comments.
It has been a while since my last piece of artwork. I am a bit apprehensive because my ideals and visions always exceed my creative accomplishments.
Also, I tend not to complete things. I am hoping that this thread, and the support of other members, will help me to kick-start my belated art career.
I plan to be ruthfully honest, and if I get stuck, or hesitant, I will post it here. I really want to finish what time I have left as a full time artist (profitable or not).
Thanks again.
St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm

I still not happy with one mountain peak. The second from center still needs to be filled out more, to break similarity from its neigbour.
Still need to place appropriate expression on St. Francis' face. Will do that at time of painting his face.
So far:
St.Luke