A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Current Painting I am working on

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Current Painting I am working on

Postby CraigH » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:54 pm

So this is an oil on 11x14 canvas panel. This is the "dead color" layer. I am NOT completely finished with this layer. I have some questions, like is having the toned ground show through OK or not? (I think it will add some warmth later, but I could be wrong.) As well as any other suggestions as to how to enhance it or just any comments really. Thanks ahead of time.

ETA: Updated pic (sorry using an older phone to take the images, my digital died on me.)
Last edited by CraigH on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigH

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Current Painting I am working on

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi, Craig! You seem to know what you're doing. Unless there is a glaring error
(which I don't see, here), I'd rather not comment because I don't want to mess
with your style. Keep up the good work. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby CraigH » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:05 pm

ehoeveler wrote:Hi, Craig! You seem to know what you're doing. Unless there is a glaring error
(which I don't see, here), I'd rather not comment because I don't want to mess
with your style. Keep up the good work. Thank You, E

Thank you, though now I am interested in what exactly you would have liked to have said. I did ask for comments so I thought that cleared the way to "mess with my style". :D
CraigH

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:47 pm

OK. For starters, the shape of her face is different from that of the photo. From there on, I'm guessing that
the rest of her face will not look like the bride's. I do enjoy the style of your brushwork and colors to come. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby CraigH » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:37 pm

ehoeveler wrote:OK. For starters, the shape of her face is different from that of the photo. From there on, I'm guessing that
the rest of her face will not look like the bride's. I do enjoy the style of your brushwork and colors to come. Thank You, E

Yes, you are correct it's not the same pose as the photo you were able to see a 1/4 of. A little artistic license was used along with about a dozen other photos I have of my sister on her wedding day. That one happened to be in frame when I snapped my painting.

ETA: I wanted to capture a moment from right before I walked her down the isle (grass, outdoor wedding) where she was nervous and upset that my dad wasn't around to walk her. I told her to close her eyes and think about something (in specific) from our childhood. I didn't have my camera with me to capture the moment. We talked the other day and she made mention to that moment and I thought how neat it would be to finally capture it. Thus why the painting is face on rather than the photo taken from the side. I was standing face on to her.
CraigH

Postby Gosia » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:19 am

Wow! Such a nice story inspired this drawing. :-) I like it and look forward to see it finished!
I can see that some of the parts of her face are asymmetrical. It's intriguing... Is it on purpose?
Gosia

Postby CraigH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 am

[quote="Gosia"]Wow! Such a nice story inspired this drawing. :-) I like it and look forward to see it finished!
I can see that some of the parts of her face are asymmetrical. It's intriguing... Is it on purpose?[/]

It was accidental and I noticed it last night and fixed the nose as well as softened some of the features. It's my first portrait I normally work on landscapes or still life. Though she does pull up one side of her face and the opposite brow when she smirks. I plan on fixing more today and will hopefully have enough done to give an update later or tomorrow. Thank you.
CraigH

Postby CraigH » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Here is the update, still working on a few things. :D
CraigH

Postby CraigH » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Current state of painting. No where near done, but some color has been added somewhat. Sorry about the grainy pic I lost daylight before I decided to upload one.
CraigH

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:30 am

I love her new complexion - I like the whole face, so far. Good colors! Thank You, E
ehoeveler