A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Kevin Fehlenberg's gargoyles of Notre Dame process shots

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin Fehlenberg's gargoyles of Notre Dame process shots

Postby StoneSculpture » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

I'm excited to share process photos for Kevin William Fehlenberg's current project. He is sculpting a series of small sculptures inspired by the gargoyles of Notre Dame. He will hand cast and patina a limited number of each gargoyle. Here are process photos of Kevin's first gargoyle:

This is the first step, starting the armature. The gargoyle will be 1/6 scale or 12" in height. The famous gargoyle that adorns the Notre Dame Cathedral is life-scale and is shown left of my armature in the photo below. Let's see if I can do this.

Next I finish the armature and put up the clay using the profile of the gargoyle as a guide.

The next step on my Notre Dame inspired gargoyle is to build up the first basic profile. I'm not worried about width at all at this point, just a thin profile. I frequently put the photo behind the model to check my work.

Now I start to work up the overall width. I'm not too meticulous here, just starting to define some basic features like a backbone and shoulder blades.

Here Kevin Fehlenberg added more width to the front of the gargoyle.

You can follow Kevin Fehlenberg's progress at https://www.facebook.com/originalhandmadesculpture
StoneSculpture

Re: Kevin Fehlenberg's gargoyles of Notre Dame process shots

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Wow.. Looking great! Keep us posted!
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)