A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Eye Oil Painting WIP

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Eye Oil Painting WIP

Postby ael2595 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Hey guys I'm new to this site. I just graduated high school and will be attending Pratt Institute next fall. I started this oil painting today of an eye. I need it to dry so I can add more details with layers. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. :D
ael2595

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Eye Oil Painting WIP

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm

I am a fan of eye paintings and you're off to a great start. Your iris colors and striations are fun -
I like the sunflower effect around the pupil. I would make sure that your pupil is perfectly round and
don't try to curve the striations overly much. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby amoravian » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:56 am

Good start. The eye is missing the liquidity that most eyes have that make it appear moist. This can be captured by using impasto to create highlights in certain locations. Near the pupil is a good spot for some and in many cases it is nearly a pure white. The surrounding "white" part of the eyes are generally not as white as the reflected light near the pupil so those need to be toned down. There should be more emphasis on the cast shadow from the eyelid onto the orb of the eye to create depth. Also the corners of the eye can use more of a warm shadow tone because these parts are on a lower plane and are further away from the light than the rest of the bulge of the eye. I think the orange could be knocked down a few tones as well. What I like are the color tones and appliance of them thus far. You go from a bright blue to a pale blue in the eye which works great.Good start, keep it up.
amoravian

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Amoravian, I couldn't have said it anywhere near as well as you did! Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby nigelartist » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Great start....very realistic. Keep on creating!
Nigel Goodwin:Artist/poet/songwriter/photographer - http://nigelgoodwin.crevado.com
nigelartist