A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Need some advice please

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Need some advice please

Postby BYart » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:05 am

This is my latest attempt, and yes...it is another horse.
I did the horse in some oil pencils that I had from a purchase at Walmart(Walnut Hollow
and) sometime back. I had started this with the intention of having the horse on a cliff and the Mts. to be seen in the distance. I haven't been able to accoplish that, so I'm asking for help. I've tried pushing the Mts. back with lighter tones, so maybe I need to go lighter still?
Oh, the background I'm doing in Pastel Pencils(Derwent
and).
I will be putting in a sky, and the bit of yellow, please ignore as it was a bit of a test, will fix later.
This isn't my best work...but I'm not giving up on it just yet...so I thought I'd ask for input.
It is done on Bristol Paper. 9 x 12
ANY advice appreciated!
Attachments
Arabian Rearing wip2.jpg
Arabian Rearing wip2.jpg (162.42 KiB)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby kcortese » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 am

Hi Barb!!!

Nice start!

I know this is just a beginning, here are some suggestions from me.

You should start from the back and work your way to the front, just like painting. The sky should have gone in before the horse, now you may have some edging and blending problems. Draw the outline of your horse and mountains put the sky in before the other subjects.

The boulders need more definition, harder edging to
ing them out more and some shadow. I don't know if you wanted smooth rounded boulders or pointed ones. Where is your light coming from?

Also you may want to add some rocks, pebbles, and a little grass to the ground.

The hooves look a too small to me, and make them more round instead of pointed.

I can't wait to see this one completed.

Keep up the good work!

Karen
kcortese

Postby BYart » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 pm

kcortese wrote:Hi Barb!!!

Nice start!

I know this is just a beginning, here are some suggestions from me.

You should start from the back and work your way to the front, just like painting. The sky should have gone in before the horse, now you may have some edging and blending problems. Draw the outline of your horse and mountains put the sky in before the other subjects.

The boulders need more definition, harder edging to
ing them out more and some shadow. I don't know if you wanted smooth rounded boulders or pointed ones. Where is your light coming from?

Also you may want to add some rocks, pebbles, and a little grass to the ground.

The hooves look a too small to me, and make them more round instead of pointed.

I can't wait to see this one completed.

Keep up the good work!

Karen

Hi Karen,
I've studied many pastelist that work in this manner, doing the background last. It's just a matter of choice. I'm not concerned about any blending issues with the sky, but thanks anyway.
I am TRYING to get this to look like he is standing on a Mt. Cliff, not on the "ground".
I've decided that maybe some more definition, to the middleground Mts. will give more depth.
I want to keep the values/hues light on this, so as to keep the horse the focus, so I'm fairly limited as to my color choices I have available.
Thanks for pointing out the hooves, I will fix! :wink:
I'm sending you a PM on another matter!
Barb

BYart

Postby saphyre » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Maybe in the forground making the cliff he is standing on a slightly different color than the other mt.? I have only ever tried one landscape and that was years ago so that might not be very helpful. lol :D
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby BYart » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks saphyre!
But I gave up on that perspective and just went with what i had done.
I've done as much on this one as I am willing at this point, I am not thrilled with it...but it is what it is.
I hate the color blending on the horse's body, but I've tried(remember the medium on horse is Oil Pencils), everything to include baby oil to blend and that is the best I'v gotten. I know my surface is at fault(can't be me :lol: ), as it is a drawing paper and really not too well suited for this type of medium, or at least that is my excuse :lol: :lol: :P . I'm amazed I got as much pastel to lay down as I did(background is Pastel), this paper is super smooth, with no tooth.
I'm calling it "Purple Mountain Majesty", and putting it in the closet!
Attachments
Purple Mountain Majesty.jpg
Purple Mountain Majesty.jpg (199.86 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby kcortese » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 am

Nice Job!!!

Love the head, you outdid yourself here.
kcortese

Postby saphyre » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:31 pm

It is a lot better than you give yourself credit for. I'm sure the next one will be even better! :D
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby BYart » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks karen and saphyre.
But i know this one is far from being where i want to reach for. It needs alot of work on proportions and unfortunately, because I used a surface not suitable for these mediums, I am not able to achieve any more changes as the surface will not accept any more pigment, tried fixative..no luck. :(
I need to concentrate more on the legs as they are too short and too "soft" looking...but yes, there will be a "next time"...so I learned alot from this one.
Thanks for commenting.
Barb

BYart

Postby krysta11 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Hello my friend Barb,

I can't give you any advice here as I am not good with horses as you know. All I can say is, that I love this painting very much.
K.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11