A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

my first large canvas

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

my first large canvas

Postby tilwehavefaces » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 am

I 'finished' this painting the other day and as it has been sitting out I've decided I don't think I'm finished it with yet. I have entertained some ideas. Originally in my head I had a swing on the tree and after painting it decided I didn't want it. Well. I am still not sure about the swing but I still feel as if something is missing. This is the largest canvas I have ever painted and it took me a year to even put any paint on it. I also thought about blossoms on the tree, or words in the empty space but I wasn’t really feeling it. I have a tendency to overdo things...esp. when deciding if I'm done. So I am trying to decide if I should do something else or if I am done. What do you think? (I don't have a lot of experience and really I am in a stage of exploring painting.) Thank you so much
Attachments
IMG_0201-edit.jpg
IMG_0201-edit.jpg (113.72 KiB)
tilwehavefaces

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Harmonygirl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:27 am

This is beautiful, I can understand the fear of over working it. When thinking about what/if you want to put something there, keep in mind what you wan to be the focal point. The tree IS beautiful. You may want to keep that the focal point and have something on the opposite side. Really it is beautiful as it is.... a couple of blossoms on the tree may add the colour I think you are looking for. I see some nice pink to white blossoms....

Good luck
harmony
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby kcortese » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:10 am

Overworking is somthing I do too. I think the tree is very clean and looks finished, don't touch that.

Like Shannon said:
Really it is beautiful as it is.... a couple of blossoms on the tree may add the colour I think you are looking for. I see some nice pink to white blossoms....

Maybe
ighten up the green blades of grass with a little highlight.

Nice imaginative painting, good job for exploring painting, you handle a
ush very well.

Karen
kcortese

Postby Riaan Marais » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 am

Hi there.

I like this picture a lot. I would have painted the grasses the same way you did the tree. Make them also curly and paint them with thicker blades.
Attachments
grass-sample.jpg
grass-sample.jpg (27.28 KiB)
Well, why are we here if not to create?
Riaan Marais

Postby kcortese » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Fantastic suggestion from Riann! Go with it!

Karen
kcortese

Postby tilwehavefaces » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks so much guys for your input. I definitely think I am going to lighten up the grass. I noticed that the blue sky is what actually stood out instead of the tree because of its drastic color difference. I also like the idea of swirly grass. Thank you so much. I'll show you how I change it...it may be a while though.
tilwehavefaces