A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Solitude 7

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Solitude 7

Postby finsterc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm Retired! So now I get to be a full time hobbyist. I decided this week's hobby to pursue would be painting. But what to paint? I didn't have any inspiration. Then I logged onto A Singular and saw this months contest, Solitude. That triggered a memory of a great photo I have, problem is the photo is black & white. So it's a new challenge, a color painting from a B&W photo. Hope I get it right. So far I got the base laid down, the model chalked out and what I think is a good start on the background.
finsterc

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Solitude 7

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing Chris. Looks good so far of course. Glad to see you made it to retirement. Small tip. You have to now learn how to order yourself around as you don't really have to follow orders and actually report to anyone now. It takes some time to get your brain around that concept.
CarlOwen

Postby finsterc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks Carl, but you know I still have the most important person of all whom I still report to every day, my wife. The honey-do list is now much longer now :)
finsterc

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Ha=Ha. Well said my friend.
CarlOwen

Postby finsterc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Ok I don't think I'm any good at the "Works in progress" thing. You just get the start and finish. Every time I think to step back and take a picture my hands are covered in paint and I'm not reaching into my pocket to get my phone. So here it is, I literally just finished it, the paint will be wet for a while so it cant be scanned for a few days but here's a photo. The colors in the photo are a bit saturated in this pic but I think I got the concept down. The hang up I had on this one was trying to figure out what color her sweater was. I scraped a lot of palettes before I figured out that it was actually a black and white sweater in the B&W photo, Duh. I have no history on the photo so I made up a back story. I see her as a model stepping out for a smoke break during a long photo shoot. I don't think that was actually a cigarette in her hand in the photo but what the hell, creative licence.
finsterc

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:38 am

Nice job Chris. This one looks more realistic and yet displays a more freedom of paint use and construction of form than your past work. Is this reflective of your personal sense of freedom? Anyway, keep it up. It is my opinion that this is your best one to date because of that expression of freedom, or looseness if you will.
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Agreed with Carl. Very nice work here.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)