A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Independent book shops and artists

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

Independent book shops and artists

Postby rhknigh » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 pm

I am wondering if this might be the start of a trend towards places that sell books uniting with artists. This place had a very successful re-launch here in Austin. It is almost more of an art gallery than books, complete with opening parties for exhibitions.

What is the connection with books and art? Is this a branching out for the gallery enterprise or is it perhaps an adaption to stay relevant or to capture a certain niche?

Your pondering and ideas are welcome, this is something no one is really talking about yet... but I thought if I could get a discussion going anywhere, there is no place better than ASC.

Good evening,

Rebecca
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26
Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Independent book shops and artists

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Austin is such a great place! I was there through the eighties and it was a great music and art center even back then. The place looks like it will work nicely for what the owners have in mind.
ehoeveler

Postby rhknigh » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:53 pm

ehoeveler wrote:Austin is such a great place! I was there through the eighties and it was a great music and art center even back then. The place looks like it will work nicely for what the owners have in mind.

Today I saw this announcement,for an entirely different store "Noticed the great paintings on display in the store? Even if you haven't, mark your calendar to come in and listen to the artist speak. Emily Painton of Painton Gallery will be here September 19 at 6:30 with a talk called, "On Becoming An Artist." Yep it is on their calendar here. I wonder if any artists are seeing this happen in their areas, it can't just be an Austin thing. I have a growing curiosity about this phenomenon.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Does Austin still have the Laguna Gloria Gallery?
ehoeveler

Postby rhknigh » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 pm

ehoeveler wrote:Does Austin still have the Laguna Gloria Gallery?

There is a house that is strangely dubbed the Laguna Gloria "Art Museum" but there is not much in the way of art to see there. It is mostly about the house and garden around it, and it is rented out for weddings and such. I understand some art shows take place there from time to time, but not much blipping my radar. It is close to where students take art classes. If there is a Laguna Gloria Gallery proper, I still have yet to discover it, and it must be well-hidden. Austin has a lot of galleries otherwise, yes.

rhknigh
Writer

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:52 am

Probably the same one though it sounds like it has passed its' heyday.
Glad to hear about more galleries, though!
ehoeveler

Postby rhknigh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:32 pm

It has occasional exhibitions at the Laguna Gloria, but not to see on an regular day-to-day basis. You can go there any given day and you might see art, or just a moderately decorated fancy old house basically. So if it had a heyday before I would love to hear your experience of it. I am fond of the Umlauf Sculpture garden and museum downtown.

:!: As an update to the original post, I am writing an article about the book shop/artist connection and have gotten in touch with the Farewell Books local shop owners and they are giving me some insight by way of an interview. They actually want to participate, yay! A general interest with some local input.

Anyone want to let me know what they think about my working title? - The Art Gallery within a Bookstore - Literary and Visual Arts Unite

And any input/experience/commentary or just let me know about another place you know of that has a similar setup, let me know! I am very curious and want to learn more. It is so many things I love rolled into one - art, books, business, innovative commerce so forth. Multi-tasking goodness.

rhknigh
Writer

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Laguna was at one point, the Big Gallery around town - they has artists from all over
the world - lots of edgy, cool work. They also had basic painting /drawing classes which I
attended and enjoyed.
Your working title is explanatory, which is a good thing! I like it.
ehoeveler

Postby rhknigh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 pm

ehoeveler wrote:Laguna was at one point, the Big Gallery around town - they has artists from all over
the world - lots of edgy, cool work. They also had basic painting /drawing classes which I
attended and enjoyed.
Your working title is explanatory, which is a good thing! I like it.

Hey E, I just read there is hope of a comeback - multimillion $$ renovation: http://austin.culturemap.com/news/arts/09-10-13-laguna-gloria-undergoing-multi-million-dollar-renovation/

rhknigh
Writer

Postby chinujhon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 am

Book writing is a part of Art work...
chinujhon

Postby rhknigh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:55 pm

chinujhon wrote:Book writing is a part of Art work...

I agree! :)

rhknigh
Writer