A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

'St. Joe's, Play Ball ' !

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

'St. Joe's, Play Ball ' !

Postby yoli » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I did this piece in honor of one of the nun's that taught me in St. Joseph's School in Hoboken, NJ.
Sister Jamesanne. She has left the order quite some time ago, but this is one woman who definitely
helped me become the woman that I am today.

Yolanda
Attachments
yoli

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: 'St. Joe's, Play Ball ' !

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:38 pm

The whole thing has a marvelous vibe. I went to Sacred Heart School in Miami and I remember that same look of joy
on a few of the nun's faces! Your colors are always attractive and the themes are consistently delightful.
However, I'm gonna continue to take you to task about those hands! The back of Sister's left hand should be under the bat
with fingers curling towards her and not the boy. The boy's hand and catcher's mitt look a bit slap-dashed and unfinished.
Catcher's mitt looks like a ball of hair with a hole in it. Yoli, you have the talent to bring your work up to the 'next level.
Small details like body parts and pertinent imagery are important. I know this is 'Just Showing' but you've caught my eye
and I will Not leave you alone, LOL! Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby yoli » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Hello E. I have tried to make some corrections, wrapping the fingers around the bat. But the ref. photo clearly shows her other hand not holding the bat correctly.
I added more brown to the mitt and worked his hand a bit. I think I will be better served if I do pieces that do not have hands because I have struggled with this
issue (hands ) for years! :?

Yolanda
Attachments
yoli

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Yoli, NO, GIRL!!!!!! If you want to do figurative work, you must master all parts of
the body. Hands are the worst - I labor and labor practicing hands and am still never
sure that they are good enough. Some parts of art I have a talent for and other
parts I gotta work harder at. Don't give up. E
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:26 am

Good morning Yolanda. I agree with Elizabeth. You are an artist and that means you are not capable of not meeting a challenge or backing down, even when you feel defeated. Here's a tip I followed 50 years ago. Get a drawing pad, draw your own hands in several different positions. Fill that pad of 30 to 50 pages and get another pad. Fill that pad. The day I got out of the Marine Corps, my box of drawing pads was stolen, but I owned the knowledge. You probably have heard this tip before. But just do it. It is a brain cell manipulation/development thing. Lots of research has been done on how learning actually changes and grows new brain cells. Doctors, pilots, athletes, cops, and yes even us artists constantly train. It is just how we human species must work to perfect our chosen craft. Post a few of those sketches in the Works In Progress forum from time to time to get feedback about your development. I believe you will surprise yourself.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Well said, Carl,which brings up a great tip used over many a decade: Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Yoli, I actually need to do what Carl suggested for you. A little extra work beforehand prevents mistakes and paInt-overs.
Carl - Marines? You Bad-Ass, you! My Dad was a Louie on the South Dakota right before the end of the war....I Thank
God he was able to dodge the big bullet of WW2, so many brave souls did not...
Girl, I wanna say that you are So Close to the Top. Your concepts, layouts, colors and designs are top-notch. You just
have this thing about hands and I will venture to guess that, the more people tell you to do this that or the other, you buck a lil'.
Am I Right? DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF. E
ehoeveler

Postby yoli » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Well thank you both for the encouragement ! To have the both of you consider me an artist gives me courage, Carl I will do that exercise and others till I get this! and you are right E.
I have to do better prior planning! Thank you both again, wishing you and yours good health in the New Year and a very Merry Christmas !

Yolanda
yoli

Postby TheSculptor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:14 pm

Hahah

Thats Mad
TheSculptor

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Oh, I agree with Carl's and Es advice.... Hands are difficult, but like the Hopscotch price, I too challenge you to do Hand Studies... Poses, foreshortened, don't worry about refined detail, focus on proportion and structural and anatomical accuracy. :). Maybe we can start a Topic for Studies. Such as Study of Hands... And all can share as they develop! :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)