A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Exporatory Research Mechanism

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Exporatory Research Mechanism

Postby Emile » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Here's a kinetic piece from a while back, as much science as art really. no preliminary plans or drawings (animations and diagrams were produced later).... http://thecolemechanism.blogspot.com/

Materials - Scrap plastic, coathanger wire and bicycle parts.
Tools - Two pairs of needlenose pliers, a screwdriver, a pocket knife, a hacksaw and a file.

Last edited by Emile on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emile

Re: Exporatory Research Mechanism

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Thank you for sharing. Kinetic art is always fascinating. It makes a person wonder about what we have been told is the truth and what is the truth. I can't help but to wonder about energy conservation principles, mass–energy equivalence, and of course the perpetual machine impossibility.

Of course then there is the pendulum at the Griffith Observatory that knocks down pins in a 360 degree circle as it swings back and forth. Something about the mass and height of the pendulum and the movement of the earth as we swing around the sun, if I remember correctly. Anyway, that is also fascinating as it has been doing it since it was started sometime in the 1930's I think. Someone needs to check me on that.

And thanks for sharing all the diagrams and text.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Geddoutta Town!!!! I love mechanics - I'm thinking there are so many things to be done with
the speed and motion created by this stripped - down beauty...Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby Emile » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Carl....

CarlOwen wrote:Thank you for sharing. Kinetic art is always fascinating.

Thanks and glad you like it.

CarlOwen wrote:It makes a person wonder about what we have been told is the truth and what is the truth.

I've had some recent and very disturbing first hand experience with that. Academia isn't all it pretends to be, there's a dark side.... I've seen it.

CarlOwen wrote:I can't help but to wonder about energy conservation principles, mass–energy equivalence, and of course the perpetual machine impossibility.

It's really a matter of definition. Of course the physicists insist a machine must literally run forever to qualify, but by a more practical definition, a machine that runs for several hundred years, though it may not be perpetual in the strictest sense of the word could nevertheless be very, very useful.

CarlOwen wrote:Of course then there is the pendulum at the Griffith Observatory that knocks down pins in a 360 degree circle as it swings back and forth. Something about the mass and height of the pendulum and the movement of the earth as we swing around the sun, if I remember correctly.

Right, that's a Foucault pendulum meant to reveal the rotation of the planet.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

"Animation of a Foucault pendulum at the Pantheon in Paris (48°52' North), with the Earth's rotation rate greatly exaggerated. The green trace shows the path of the pendulum bob over the ground (a rotating reference frame), while the blue trace shows the path in a frame of reference rotating with the plane of the pendulum."

CarlOwen wrote:Anyway, that is also fascinating as it has been doing it since it was started sometime in the 1930's I think. Someone needs to check me on that.

The Foucault pendulum is like any other, eventually it will come to a stop due to air resistance, so periodicaly it must be restarted. There are some that are powered by periodic impulses delivered by an electromagnet though.... that might tend to give that impression.

There's only one machine I'm aware of (I studied this sort of thing for many years) that fits the more practical definition of perpetuaI I mentioned earlier that actually can last several hundred years and it's already been running for 175, it's the Oxford bell....

Started in 1840, it's powered by something called Contact Potential (static positive and negative electric charges created by bringing disimilar metals into contact, copper and zinc for example). Even the Wikipedia article wryly points out that if it stops some day it will likely be because of the clapper physically wearing away, not friction, air resistance or running out of charge.... it still rings twice each second (2Hz) just as it did the day it was started.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Electric_Bell
Last edited by Emile on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Emile

Postby Emile » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi ehoeveler....

ehoeveler wrote:Geddoutta Town!!!! I love mechanics - I'm thinking there are so many things to be done with
the speed and motion created by this stripped - down beauty...Thank You, E

It's got some interesting properties, like the rapid onset of rotation in either direction in response to the slightest periodic imbalancing action, or the fact that no mass is raised or lowered in the process. The lever I'm seen moving back and forth in the video feels just the same as if one stands a pencil on end on a table and moves it back and forth holding it by the eraser.... barely perceptible.

Anyway glad you like it!
Emile

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi Emile. I just attempted a response. Got blocked or erased. Thank you for you responses. I wish you well and happy.
CarlOwen