A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Question about shipping framed art

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about shipping framed art

Postby bpier » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

This is for anyone who might be able to answer. I need to ship three pieces of framed art, average size 24x36". The gallery does not want it crated and the contaner I use is the same container they will return them in. Does anyone have any experience in shipping art. Thanks

Brian
bpier

Gallery: View Gallery

I double box

Postby pehiatt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Use corner protectors. They can be simple and home made.

Cover the front of each painting with full sized foam board panel and wrap with bubble wrap.

Then seal both ends of a box just slightly larger than the painting and cut it in half. Slip each half over the ends of the painting. Mark with Your name address and phone number. Do not tape the halves together.

Two or three boxed paintings are then placed in the outer box with generous amounts of bubble wrap. No tape. The people at the other end need to be able to remove the artwork without destroying the shipping materials and put it all back together again.

I generally use a 5 X 36 X 44 inch outer shipping box available at Fedex shipping locations.

Place a packing slip inside with listed contents and ship from - ship to information.

Provide return shipping label (prepaid if possible) Fedex will only charge a small fee for the label and not the full shipping amount if it is not used

I also put a small roll of shipping tape inside. No excuse for return shipper.

Lastly, seal all flaps with shipping tape and seal again. Do not rely on staples. They come apart. I know...

Make the box easy to open and re-close. I put stickers on with "Reusable Container" and "Open this end"

Good luck.
pehiatt

Postby bpier » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 am

Many thanks Patrick. The information is greatly appreciated.

Best regards. Brian
bpier