A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Let the Games Begin II

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Let the Games Begin II

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Well, my Santa Rosa Lake collection demanded to be finished. So here they are.
Attachments
Santa Rosa Lake 1
Santa Rosa Lake 2
Santa Rosa Lake 4
Santa Rosa Lake 5
Santa Rosa Lake 6
Santa Rosa Lake 3
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Cristo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:34 pm

Hey Carl, been busy moving so I haven't done much painting.. I like these paintings because they show your continuing dedication to this challenge. I can see in your brushstrokes a yearning for expression. In some instances I can see an emotion coming through but it's just a 'ghost' glimmer. So far. . Imagine your brush in your hand "writing" the contents of your being upon the surface of your canvas and feel the difference. That is my advise to you. Paint on friend. I will post something soon.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 am

Thank you for your observations and comments Cristo. As to you directions about "writing" the contents of my being on the canvas, that my friend, may take awhile. I understand your meaning, but I have a lot of unlearning and retraining to do.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey Carl, how are you doing. This one is called Battle for the Muse. It is a work in progress. It is a picture that depicts the twists and turns of my psyche trying to free itself to depict an object of beauty. As a side note I'll say that it causes me madness to have a lack of space in my life, so each drawing is a battle to depict my subject fairly. All the different sensations and thoughts, feelings, there. Lately, it is what my drawings and paintings are about, that battle for the muse. I have grown rather ragged in my thirty-four years and spent up my youth yet I want to paint and draw what it feels like to battle, to show life in action! Any comments are welcome. Hope you like the picture.
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:26 pm

You see this drawing in terms of spatial dynamics. You choose a point on the picture plane and view the surroundings from the bias of the point you like. In my opinion it is freedom of expression to see this way. It's a journey.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 am

Interesting work Cristo. Your work is confusing to me. I am still trying to absorb your last comments and am studying the abstract expressionist style. Most difficult.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:30 pm

I think the title and the painting conveys everything to be said here.
Attachments
Inheritance
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:39 pm

I like it. The mix of impressionism and outlines of a violin and volcano go well together. There is a feeling of regret though in the flames.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Guess I have to define the Oil Rig better. And yes, this painting is all about regret. Regret that we depended on governments to not do the right thing insuring that our grandkids, and, oh yes, the rich as well as the poor, will inherit the burning world we have left them.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:34 pm

I know what you mean. It's not easy to transcend the heat of the sun. 2012 was a very hot and dry year where I live. The temperatire got up to 115 degrees farenheit. Ironically, it's the oil field workers who feel the burn of the sun the most.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:43 pm

I just typed a thesis about everything, but was smart enough to delete it. To bad I was not wise enough to not type it in the first place. I will get back to you when and if I have thought this through.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:54 pm

It's alright Carl. I found in my storage a portrait I'd started in '04. It fits in the 'abstract' category. I'll see if I can post it one of these days. Also, thanks for your continuing interest in this 'contest'. And thanks to those who watch this forum.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:05 am

Good morning Cristo. I have started the Mile 34 post to get some grounding in my thinking. Hope you enjoy it when you take a look. I have not retreated from the effort at doing abstract expressionism. I think more in terms of 'encampment'. I have to wait for my brain to catch up with my desire. I think the longest I have had a painting hanging around is about seven years before I solved the problems I had set for myself within it. Just hope I don't have to wait that long in this endeavor. So, August 14th will come and go before I solve this problem. I don't want to just copy an abstract, I want to do one. Look forward to seeing your abstract self portrait.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Competition is so good! The feelings I get from both painters are passion and an overwhelming desire to show us who you are.
That's what I call good art! Thank You very much, E
ehoeveler

Postby Cristo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks, E.
Hey Carl, this is what this painting looked like since 2004. I worked on it yesterday and will be posting it up here shortly.
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Abstract Expressionist Self Portrait

When I first began painting it I was at a very vulnerable point in my life, having gone through a terrible time just months before.. I had in mind to use colors I didn't usually, colors that I'd thought were ugly, and buttons for my eyes! (first pic) ..Yesterday I looked at this painting again and remembered the events of 2004 and memories. I have a traditional Mexican family given to irascibility over our lack of I'd say finesse... education; from my father's side. Yet we are proud and have always had an abundance of beauty and grace, from my mother's side of the family. This painting came from our tradition of teachers and painters in our family.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 pm

You know, Cristo, I like it. I can't help to wonder though what any of your abstracts posted here would look like if they were fully developed with brilliant colors leaving no blank canvas left over.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks Carl. I think they would look like my 2003 paintings. Except it's not so easy to have as much passion for expressionism now as it was in my early youth. That's my opinion. But there are those few exceptions, of course. 'Night.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 am

Good morning Cristo. I understand my friend, I understand. Once upon a time I was deeply involved with doing only portraits. I thought landscapes were a waste of my time. Not so today. I actually now have the same passion for doing landscapes as I once had for portraits. Things do change with time. I will be posting the final 3 landscape drawings in the Mile 34 post in the fury forum in a few minutes. I am pleased with the start. Oh yes, I never thought I would be doing ink on canvas either. All of these drawings are ink on canvas. Go figure.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:21 am

Good morning Cristo. Well, I am going to stop my participation in this effort for now. I have a few projects I must focus on in order to finish them. I will share what they are after I have presented them in their proper arena. Of course one of the projects is the Mile Marker 34 collection. See you later my friend.
CarlOwen

PreviousNext