A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Grassy Field

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Grassy Field

Postby Theodious78 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Thoughts?
Attachments
Theodious78

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Grassy Field

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I don't see it. Could you tell me what is going on?
CarlOwen

Postby Theodious78 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Well the grass seems to be blowing towards the rock with a tree behind it... What does it look like to you Carl?
Theodious78

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:00 am

Kind of like a whale plowing through a green ocean. It looks kind of bland to me. Don't know if you were doing that on purpose or it just kind of happened. You know, I live in a neighborhood that has four other artists just a stone's throw from my front door. I have a watermelon oil painting from one of them and three works of stained glass from another with the best one a 14 inch by 70 inch stained glass window inset just above our patio door. Each of us have our own unique style. None of us are afraid to give each other honest observations, opinions and suggestions. Sometimes we plow ahead, but most of the time we consider the comments and make the changes just to see what would happen. And, most of the time the changes improve the work. I am saying this to lay the foundation about what I am going to say now.

I think the painting could be improved by adding darker edges to the bottom of the rock and on one side of the tree. The grassy sea could be enhanced by offering a variety of green shades with the darker shades in the bottom part of the painting. I know this completely changes the contest of it, but it would also remove the current blandness. Think about it and see it in your mind's eye first. Hope this helps.
CarlOwen

Postby Theodious78 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:11 am

Thank you Carl. I'll do that and let you know how it turns out. I always appreciate your knowledge.
Theodious78

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you. Just be sure you see it first in your mind's eye before you start. That will give you direction as the painting will change and start "talking" to you. Listen to it and capitalize on the "mistakes" you make along the way. Believe it or not, the painting will look fresh and alive when you get to the point that you no longer know what to do. I mean, like, do I add a field of color here, do I need to build something there, would brush texture in this space read well? When you are completely lost about how to improve it or "finish" it; it is done. And remember that if it is naturalistic as this one looks to keep the shadows on the reverse side of everything from the light source, which on this painting appears to be coming from the right side as you look at it. Have fun.
CarlOwen