A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Honest opinions please even the most criticizing are welcome

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Honest opinions please even the most criticizing are welcome

Postby moorej2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 pm

I've attached an image of my most recent and favourite painting. I don't have many arty people in my life to get honest opinions from. I always get a non interested "yeah that's nice" type response to my work which after a while can get quite annoying. I think because I'm 19 people don't take me seriously. Most people say my works good but not the type of stuff people would buy because they say its too dark or gloomy so people won't want it in their house. I want to create art that people will want to see or even buy. That's why I want your most honest and even brutal opinions and advice if it will help me to create art that can sell rather than just sit gathering dust.

I hope the image has attached :/

Please let me know :D

Thank you.

JA
x

webpage- www.jenniferalexandra.com
email- jennifermoore0120@gmail.com
Attachments
Hope I've uploaded this right.
moorej2

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Honest opinions please even the most criticizing are wel

Postby eddieblz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Powerful image. the color is wonderful. Nice classic pose. I like how the glimmer of light comes out exposing the face but just gives a hint of the rest of the body. There appears to be a little problem with your proportion as the neck connects to the shoulder and down the arm, but the darkness helps to cover it. I probably would darkened that area a little more to heighten the mystery a little more. This still is a wonderful peice. Nice job.
eddieblz

Postby moorej2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 am

Thank you so much for commenting. Which bit is it I should darken exactly? yeah I've always had a problem with proportion haha I'll try to fix it. Thank you
JA x
moorej2

Postby eddieblz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 am

I wouldn't try to fix it. This is a wonderful piece. With the light and warm colors and that classic pose, it has a nice balance to it, any miss proportion just adds to the uniqueness of this peice. Don't let your family discourage you, you have a wonderful talent and your gallery is magnificent.
eddieblz

Postby Symphoneus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm

A very magnificent work, not only is the detailing of this face incredible, but it blends into the background in an amazing way.
If you're nineteen, producing art of this caliber, and people are still not taking you seriously, odds are high these a just not very "serious people" (which is rare anyways).

As for your art being "to dark to sell", that's just silly.

Van Gogh is one of the worlds highest selling artist, "Starry Night" is his most popular piece...
That dude was dark!

I would suggest looking at what work these people DO keep in their houses. If it is truly important that you appeal to these people (a worthy pursuit), then try to create something which they would HAVE to admit as being nice to hang on there walls. This should give you a better idea of your "audience" which should hopefully allow you to make your art more widely appealing in the future.

...I don't know...
I really like this picture, so personally feel like "Screw those people!"
8p
The fate of men, might weigh on me,
But I take that sin quite well,
Only cold wins, in the dark it seems,
But I hear there's warmth in hell...
(8p)
Symphoneus

Postby moorej2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Hey sorry for the late response! thank you that means a lot. I don't think they really look at my work if that makes sense. Its not very interesting to them so they don't look.
Also what materials do you work on if you sell work? i can't really afford to do all my paintings on good materials which again makes them un-sellable. To be quite honest alot of the art work in their houses is normally just plain photos of sunsets or whatever printed onto a canvas. I kinda like more traditional stuff though. And I want to have my own style which people like rather than changing my style and therefore opinions to suit what they like.. hmm. yeah I have to agree. Screw them!

:) Thanks again!

JA
x
moorej2

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 pm

Hello moore,

It takes two things to build an artist. Talent and time. And you have plenty of both. I think you have a good furture.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy