A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Looking for advice on this....

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for advice on this....

Postby lesliehansel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:28 pm

I think I'm all finished. Im leaving the block kind of rough on purpose. I might pull some more lines up into the shirt to show more of the change from figure to landscape but I'm not sure yet. I'm also having problems coming up with a title. I've crossed off all the obvious ones like "Falling apart" or "Going to pieces". I'm thinking of using "Ruff day at the office" or "Tough day at the box store". Any thoughts?
lesliehansel

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Looking for advice on this....

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 pm

'Set in Stone'? I love your concept and I think you have good instincts going forward.
I wouldn't do to much more with this - you have a bona fide painting that says a lot.
Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby Medved35 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 pm

The only problem I have is that his right elbow is cut off. Maybe the image was cut off accidentally. If not, I'd almost like to see another panel with the already established wall extending into it. The wall stays infinite and the scale of the it increases. And of course, the elbow would be included. But if it doesn't bother you, then don't bother.
Medved35

Postby lesliehansel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 am

ehoeveler:

you've always given good advice in the past but i went ahead and added some more lines on the ground and shirt anyway. as soon as the sun in the right place I'll get some pics up but I think it helps articulate the idea. " Set in stone" is a good one. Its in the running. My gf suggested "Djeser Complex". Djeser (say like Zoser) was a pharaoh who build some of the earliest pyramids. I kinda liked that one also. I think it implies the central figure is in a state of change or flux and help animate him a little more.
lesliehansel

Postby lesliehansel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 am

Medved35 :

His placement was always a problem. I wanted him to dominate the picture plan so if I place so both arms are inside he ends up sitting in the middle and the painting starts to feel like a box. With his arm hanging off one side I think it help imply a continuance of the picture plane beyond the pictures borders. I like the idea of adding additional panels. I hand build all my panels so I have some options about size and shape. One idea I'm thinking about is making a second panel that is basicly "L" shaped and matches to the left and bottom. This would get that elbow in their and give me an opportunity to explain what hes standing on/turning into. I could also make a panel the this panel sits inside. Or I could build this into a box with the painting wrapped around it. God I love art.
lesliehansel

Postby lesliehansel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:07 pm

36x48, oil on panel

I added some sublet detail on the shirt and in the foreground to better show the flat surface at the bottom. All in all I don't know if it looks different enough to warrant another picture but here it is.
lesliehansel

Postby JanieFox » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I like that he is a bit offset. The slightly troubled sky suggests the storm that is brewing inside him. I think most anyone who feels trapped in a corporate job will feel his emotional trauma. My only advice is to not second guess yourself. Great work!
JanieFox

Postby lesliehansel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks JamieFoxx and welcome to ASC. That feeling of financial bondage at the hands of a corporate overlord is one I know well. I spent 10 years as a satellite engineer working for people like Directv and Dish Network.
lesliehansel