A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Village house in fog

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Village house in fog

Postby anka051991 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Hello everyone! I am new on this forum and I will be happy if you critique my art. I am Ana, currently junior at college majoring in finance and management. Your advice and feedback will be very valuable for me and will help me to improve my techniques. I am self-trained and your critique will help me see my mistakes:)

size: 50/60 cm
medium: oil on canvas

Landscape of a wooden house in fog.

please give me some feedback and advice to improve my work. Is it ok? is it good?

anka051991

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Village house in fog

Postby sharkbarf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 am

Ana,
Your off to a great start!
I don't want to bombard you with too much so I'll start off slow and I'll develop my concepts as you respond.
1. See how the foreground and middle ground are the small value? To create more depth lighten the background. Which leads me to my next point
2. Just over the hill in the bg the fog stops abruptly, as if there is an invisible wall it cant get past. This artificial line doesn't help the composition. If you soften the hill line by adding fog pouring over it (like you did just below) your eyes will gravitate to the house which is the focal point.

Just wanted to reiterate that you did a good good over all. The detail in the foreground and the smaller fence posts both help to give perspective.
"Not conceded, just better than jail" - Dr. Spawk, FPC
sharkbarf

Postby anka051991 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Thank you for your feedback. You are absolutely right about the fog, it stops suddenly :) I left it like that because the canvas was wet and I wanted to let it dry and add fog after that. Then I started new painting and did not go back to this one. But after your feedback I saw it more clearly how important it is to add some fog so the border between fog and hill won't look so bad.
Thank you!
anka051991

Postby anka051991 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 am

I tried to improve the painting. Is it better now? :)
anka051991

Postby miriamcarmack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am

The improvement is lovely! It's instantly more mysterious and intriguing to me. I love the colors and the way you painted the trees. Remember though, for the future, to keep those lovely vibrant colors that are in the distance more blue and greyed down. It helps to make it feel more real, because that is what our eyes see in nature - atmospheric perspective (the air and "stuff" of the atmosphere floating in between us and the distant hills). Nice job Ana.
miriamcarmack