A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

.001% Club

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: .001% Club

Postby Singular » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 am

Don't curb your tongue a bit. Communitites need people like you to comment as often as possible, especially when it is slow in times like this (holiday season).
Singular
Founder

Articles: 26
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 am

Any progress on your series?
Singular
Founder

Postby sharkbarf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Yes, I've done another 10 or so paintings but because of lack of interest/comments/critiques I haven't found it a valuable use of my time. If any one who has been watching this series unfold want me to continue; please let your voice be heard.

I'll check back in a few days to decide whether I should continue posting or not.
"Not conceded, just better than jail" - Dr. Spawk, FPC
sharkbarf

Postby pretty1np1nkxoxo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 am

I'd love to see more. I just read the whole thread through this evening and found it very informative. May not have much to critique on, but I enjoy your work.
pretty1np1nkxoxo

Postby sharkbarf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Pretty
Thanks for your input.
I was hoping there would me more people interested but oh well.
I'll keep posting...sporadically
sharkbarf

Postby sharkbarf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Dec 23
11:30-1:30pm
32 X 30cm
Title:
Study for "subliminal association"

I need to learn which parts of a painting needs detail (focal point) as opposed to which parts I can get away with not putting as much detail into (peripheral). These studies are showing me how I can achieve the idea I'm going for without giving it as much attention as I used to think I needed to give every square inch. Not to say I'm going to cut corners, because that shows, more so to make the composition lead the eye where the most emphasis is.

Here's what I learned;

1. I need to paint things that I actually like. I'm getting frustrated with finding compositions by just putting together objects in the house. I figured it wouldn't matter because these are just studies but now I see the importance because I'm focusing so much of my energy into it.
2. Some things I can't do fast! For example; I think an underpainting should be painted monotonous and slow for an even coat. This has taught me to push the boundaries of "sloppy" paintings because I'll never achieve the look I'm going for in my finished original works. Now I can be even more free.
3. Keep a time sheet.

Even if you don't think you have a lot to say: please let your voice be heard. It is inspirational for me :)
Attachments
sharkbarf

Postby sharkbarf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Dec 28
2:30 - 4:30pm
30.5 X 32.5cm
Title:
Results of a domestic dispute

After finding how much the construction paper added to my last composition including; asymmetry, depth, and color harmony, it was an obvious move to add it this time as well. This also hints at where I'm trying to go by incorporating representationalism into my "pixelated corpuscular rhinolalia"

Here's what I learned;

1. Doing a wash with OMS dries incredible quick. Under a minute. This helped me achieve a slight harmonious undertone without mixing with the next layer too much.
2. Dream friendly.

I'm going to post these for my own theraputic "journaling" but I really wish people would comment...
Attachments
sharkbarf

Postby Singular » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am

#22 looks good. The placement, shadowing and likeness are all good. My only issue is the fine tuning. It looks like it needs to be a bit cleaner. The table looks messy and there is no difference in value from the horizontal and vertical parts of the table, in relation to the cloth. I also do not love the background. I don't think it does anything for the painting. But that just may personal prefernce.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby sharkbarf » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 am

Joe-
Thanks for your input.
Whereas I thought these studies would primarily be about painting, it has become clear to me I need to work on it all. Composition, color relationships, proportion, focal point, etc.
Therefor although the orange may not be a perfect match, my idea was to use the complement of blue to see how it worked.
Also since I have a time limit I never can give the detail aspect enough attention. In the regards though I've learned that spending less time on the background/peripheral will make the parts with any detail look better in comparison.
Please keep giving me suggestions as they make me see things in a new light.
sharkbarf

Previous