A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Sketch / Study

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Sketch / Study

Postby Jwalk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Here is a sketch its around 3 hrs, one hr here and one hr there. 18" * 24" , woodbridge sketch pad, heavy weight paper.If I remember correctly started with a 2b then use a 6b . from a reference.

My drawings I find don't capture light that well and appear flat.

If you have the time please let me have it ,critique away, you cant be harder on me than myself, no way!

Jwalk

Re: Sketch / Study

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:45 pm

Nice! I can tell that you're hard with yourself. Obsessed like a good artist should be!
I love the fluidity of his face and the obvious planar work with his fingers. I know you could soften them if you wanted to but
I'm glad you left the fingers that way. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Once you are finished with the 6b pencil you have to go to a charcoal pencil to darken the areas that need darkened to complete the proper shading. It can be difficult if you have put to much 6b graphite in that darkened area. Then with a clean erasure each time it touches the paper, erase the areas you want highlighted. If you want it hard and dramatic do not blend light and dark areas. If you want a more form filled soft look, use your little finger. And constantly wash that finger with a damp paper towel so your finger will dry faster. If you touch the paper with a wet finger you are screwed. There is no way to fix that mistake. I find stubbles useless as you spend to much time shaving them and after the first stroke you have the mixed pressure of darks problems that you did not want to see.

I found a much better way. Use sepia, conte and charcoal pencils to start with. Start with the lighter red color and then move to the darker brown color then to the charcoal. Again, use the erasure to lighten areas. If you use a white pencil for highlights you cannot apply a fixative. The white pencil shading disappears with the use of fixative. I like using fixative because of the darkening of the color values. Knowing that, I make sure that my erasures are complete in the areas I want to be extremely light. Without a fixative, there is always the danger the finished product will be damaged, even under glass or clear plastic. Hope this helps. By the way this is not a purist artist method and many art snobs will sneer at what I have said. However, it is the strength of the visual presentation that really counts, at least in my mind.
CarlOwen

Postby Jwalk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Hey thanks for that. No sneering here. I know I need more dramatic light. That's what Im looking for to capture the light. I mean that is what a drawing is really, well the challenging part. I suppose its all challenging really.

I have used charcoal a lot in my day with my arrangement now though I dont want to get to much into charcoal. It gets a bit messy.

I have been forcing the darks more and more I do think Im afraid of that and have to deal with that.
Jwalk

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi again. I am not talking about charcoal sticks or vine sticks or charcoal soft pastel sticks. I am talking about charcoal pencils. Beautiful little things. Try it, you will like it.
CarlOwen