A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

portrait from a beginner

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

portrait from a beginner

Postby keiko3728 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:42 pm

This is one of my first attempts at a portrait. I have not had any training and so would welcome any constructive comments on how I can improve. Elizabeth is a friend of mine and the drawing was taken from a photo.
thanks, Keiko
Attachments
Elizabeth .JPG
Elizabeth .JPG (174.91 KiB)
keiko3728

Postby BYart » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi there and welcome!!!
I think this is so very well done! The proportions are great, I like the way you rendered the hair and the glasses too!
Is this done in pastel? Is it done on a darker surface?
The only suggestion i could offer would be to try and even out the (what I believe is)the surface/paper color showing through, especially on the forehead, nose and cheek area.
This may be somewhat due to the image, so please disregard it that is the case.
Again, i think this is very well done, and for a first portrait attempt, it's outstanding!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby keiko3728 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Hiya,
Thanks very much for your comments. I know what you mean about the paper showing through. As soon as I added fixative (it is pastel) everything changed and that was the result . Do you know any way of avoiding this problem or should I just use a lighter colour paper?
Thanks,
Keiko
keiko3728

Postby BYart » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:38 am

If you applied a workable fixative, you should be able to add more pastel over the areas in need.
I think just adding more pigment, and blending a bit more will get you the desired results no matter the paper color. May i ask what type of paper?
Also, what is your technique for blending? :)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby sablewand » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 am

Very nice portrait. You did such a wonderful job for your first one. The proportions on the face and your lines look great. I hope to see more of your work soon. DeVonna
sablewand

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby keiko3728 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi Barb,
thanks for your comments. I am using Daler Rowney 160gm paper and for that portrait I used a dark colour which may be where the problem was. I have ordered some velour paper in a light grey so maybe I will have better results with that. I looked at your galley and am very impressed with your work. I love animals too.
Have a great day,
Keiko
keiko3728

Postby keiko3728 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello DeVonna,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am encouraged and inspired to move onto my next drawing. This site is great because I can now get feedback from people like you who are on the same wavelength.
Thank you,
Keiko
keiko3728

Very good!

Postby rrsum » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Keiko,
This is quite good! You definitely have something going on here. I've never worked with pastels, so I'll leave the tips and ideas to those that have.
I do know potential when I see it though, and you've got plenty of that! This is very good! Welcome and I look forward to seeing more!
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby keiko3728 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi Rich,
Thanks very much for your nice comment. I am new to this site and all the comments I have so far are very encouraging.
I really feel like I want to start my next drawing! thanks very much!
Keiko
keiko3728

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 am

Welcome to ASC!!! For a "first attempt" my dear friend, this is amazing!! You should continue on and just paint...paint...paint!!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Postby william » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Keiko,

This is very good, you seemed to have captured the woman's face and details on the face very well. I like the warm pinks against the greens, helps establish depth in the portrait. Next time, try getting some of the background color into the shadow areas of the portrait.
The only other comment I have is to watch the size of the head against the size of the shoulders.

Other wise, this is a good portrait.

William
william

Postby keiko3728 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Hello Linda and William,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. I have decided to start my next portrait as all the positive comments I have received on this site have really inspired me! Thank you for giving me the confidence I need.
Keiko
keiko3728