A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Neal Mcdannel - 2nd Place Winner - Open Potfolio

Article ID: 70
Written by: Singular
Written on: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 am
Article Description: Neal Mcdannel was selected as 2nd Place Winner for our Open Portfolio competition
External link to this article:
http://www.asingularcreation.com/Forums/kb.php?a=70

We would like to congratulate the 2nd Place Winner of our Open Portfolio competition, Neal Mcdannel. Below are the images he submitted. To view them in detail, click an image below. Also, take a moment to learn a little bit about Neal by reading his statement and bio below.

Since I started back to drawing, 4 years ago, I picked up on a theme that I had finished my work with 16 years earlier. I make multi-image pieces, mostly diptychs and triptychs. When you create work like this it adds another dimension to the narrative. The viewer automatically wonders about the relationship between the images. In the Domestic Situation series the work is about how we can hurt the ones we love the most, family. The Highway to Heaven Series shows the interesting visual dynamics of one site viewed from many different positions. Generations reflects an aspect of a multi-generational relationship between grandfather, son and grandsons. Even individual drawings have their partner images waiting to be made.

Both of my parents were public school art teachers. My father was my art teacher from first through sixth grade. I spent time before and after school in his room drawing and experimenting with art supplies. In high school I took several fine art courses but decided that commercial art was the most practical application of my skill. In 1981 I Graduated Cum Laude with an A.S.S. degree in graphic art from Finger Lakes Community College. I acquired six years of experience in this profession finishing as an art director for a small printing firm. During this time I gave the commercial art field a fair chance to become my profession of choice but I came to the conclusion that I wanted to go back to school for the Fine Arts. From 1983 to 1988 I had been taking several drawing, photo, and sculpture courses at the Memorial Art Gallery, the Visual Studies Workshop and several independent art studios.

In 1989 I graduated from Buffalo State Collage Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in Fine Art Printmaking. Around this time I met my muse, Meg, my wife and started a family. In 1991 I received my MFA in Printmaking from the University of Cincinnati where I received a Teaching Assistantship and Full Scholarship for both years I attended. From 1990-96 I was selected to participate in five international, twenty seven national and three regional juried exhibitions. Within these shows I have won six jurors awards including one best of show. In addition to this I had five one person exhibitions.

I have taught at the University of Cincinnati, R.I.T. (in Rochester) and the Finger Lakes Community College (NY). In 1994 I won a Special Opportunity Grant from the New York Foundation for the Arts. My work is also in seven permanent collections.

To see more of Neal's art, visit his website: http://nealmcdannel.weebly.com
This article was last edited by Singular on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:00 pm
This article has been viewed 1481 times

Comments

Permanent Linkby rhknigh on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Very nice work. I really am impressed with the ability to capture the emotion on the faces and yes, the dynamic viewpoints are also very well done. Congratulations on the win. - Rebecca
rhknigh
Writer