Blog: View Blog (1)

Archives

- November 2016
LGBT rights & my daughter
   Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:27 am

Search Blogs

LGBT rights & my daughter

Permanent Linkby Moondawg one six on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:27 am

I wrote this a little while ago for another blog but I think it needs repeating.

My daughter told me that she was a lesbian. She was 15. I support her decisions in life and just want her to be happy. I love her unconditionally.
First in foremost she's my daughter. She's going to face enough criticism from the public, she shouldn't have to get it from her father also. And trust me there are a lot worse things she could be doing trust me. So love I her, talk to her, let her know that I accept her for her. At the end of the day, she will always be my daughter, no matter who she loves, no matter who is in her life. I would willingly die for her - any time. Does it matter to me what her sexual orientation is if it means her not being in my life? Never.
My daughter is now 49, she has been in a loving relationship now marriage to wonderful girl woman, and they now have a daughter [adopted] 12 years old. I love them both and I get to spoil my grand-daughter rotten. Not really, but you get the idea.

When she approached me, lo these many years ago, [damn---I don’t really think about that], she said, “Dad I need to talk to you about something” and she was so serious I started to freak out in my mind. I thought “OMG it is the “TALK”, eg:sex. Now at the time I was for all intents and purposes a single father, my now ex-wife being an alcoholic, these days a recovering alcoholic and I was active duty US Navy and a Master Chief Petty Officer. I was in no way capable of handling this kind of talk, so when she said hesitantly, “Dad (pause) I think I like girls”, I was relieved and I replied, “OK”.

She said, “That’s it! OK.” And I replied yes. You are my daughter, nothing on this earth or off it would change that, so as I said I love her, that’s it period end of sentence. At the time I was stationed in the San Francisco Bay area, which has a large gay community, so it was relatively easy for me to find somebody that talk to her about the problems that she would face then and in the future.

Bless ‘em all by whatever deity or presence they choose for all the help they lent me and her.

0 Comments Viewed 249 times