+ November 2013
+ September 2013
+ June 2013
+ April 2013

Search Blogs

Feed

Marv and dog

Permanent Linkby jnbrownlee on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Starting a new painting--a boy (my father-in-law) and his dog. Am including some background and working on texture with a stone/adobe wall and weathered wood. Am excited about this composition. Did a thumbnail and tried a few different crops with gimp. I think this will work well, sort of an L composition with circles off center. Also, I decided it is much more effective for me to paint what I have inside that wants to come out, than to try and paint what someone else wants (like with commissioned work). I don't mean to be selfish or uncooperative; however, when I try to do what someone else wants it doesn't seem to say much as a painting. It turns out more like trying to make a photocopy, and I find it difficult to finish the piece. Maybe as I grow and develop my skill as an artist, it will be easier for me to see and understand what the other person wants to see and how to do it. Just a stranger in a strange land... ...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 594 times

New Series

Permanent Linkby jnbrownlee on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Just finished a portrait of my grandson, Kaine, titled-- Hunting with Dad--Joy. I am happy with the way it looks. I expect to make a few changes after receiving critiques, but so far I think this is my best portrait. My idea is to do a series of paintings, probably portraits, which represent the fruit of the spirit (I.e. Love, joy, peace, faith, goodness...). I am excited about this series and already have my next subject chosen. Actually, there are two that I want to do, but I am leaning toward-- peace, and it is a photo of my friends granddaughter quietly looking at something in her hand. I have been watching a Mary White Video, and am inspired by her work. I want to include some more things in the background to give the subject a place to be. I also really like Ms. White's use of atmosphere, so these are some of the things I will be thinking about/focusing on in this next painting.

0 Comments Viewed 1603 times

Refocusing

Permanent Linkby jnbrownlee on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:28 am

Well here I am and it is already the end of September (heavy sigh). Days skip by so quickly and it reminds me of a saying about "the best laid plans of mice and men." Anyway, moving onward, there is an online magazine called "Inspired" at-- http://www.artistsnetwork.com/inspired-digital-magazine and I just read an article called, "Artist, Know Thyself" by Marissa Anne. It has some good information and questions for those of us who are trying to "find ourselves/our style/our direction. It is in the Spring 2013 issue. So I am asking myself questions like; What is my favorite color? What am I working on when I lose all sense of time? And, Why are these my answers? Marissa makes a good point when she states, "Because we're so conditioned to please others from the time we're young, we rarely stop to ask ourselves whether how we're living...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 605 times

Absent

Permanent Linkby jnbrownlee on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 am

I haven't been here for awhile. I knew writing every day or even week was going to be tough for me. I've been working on a watercolor of red and white poppies. It is going well. I thought I was more of an abstract/impressionistic painter, but I seem to like painting realism with lots of depth and color. This suprises me, because usually I think, "Well if you want to make it look just like it is then take a photo." I admire the skill of painters who can actually make it look like a photo, I just didn't think I would go in that direction. Recently I've applied to teach a 5th grade class on the Apache Reservation. It means a big move, getting rid of a lot of extra stuff, and rebalancing myself in new surroundings. I feel excited and wary. I think it would be fun/interesting/exciting to paint the indian children. They have beautiful skin and eyes. Anyway, that is all I have for now. I wil try to get back to this sooner next time.

1 Comment Viewed 1898 times

Vision-Write it down

Permanent Linkby jnbrownlee on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Habakkuk 2:2 Amplified Bible (AMP)

2 And the Lord answered me and said, Write the vision and engrave it so plainly upon tablets that everyone who passes may [be able to] read [it easily and quickly] as he hastens by.

OK, so my purpose here will be to make my vision plain and comment about my journey. To begin, I took some painting classes in college and have been working on drawing a painting on and off ever since. I have come to a time in my life where I believe I need to get focused, if I ever really want to accomplish something lasting. I have had the opportunity in life to do/try many of the things that intrigued me. I've lived and worked on a horse ranch, taught language arts in middle school, taken ballet/jazz/modern dance/tap classes, raised a generous and gifted son, married the man I love, learned to spin and knit wool, raised a flock of chickens, met many people, and made a few good friends. Now, I am trying to get my mind wrapped around the idea of doing one thing well...

[ Continued ]

1 Comment Viewed 687 times